Each week we share sales tips for you to share with your sales team to get the week started on the right foot. Here are three to get you started.
1. Learn the 4 different types of sales reps you are managing.
How often have you heard the phrase “I’m not a sales person.” Well, actually, that’s not just one kind of person.
- The Closer – isn’t afraid to cold call.
- The Consultant – needs to be very attentive to the customer’s specific needs. Think: high-ticket items.
- The Relationship Builder – takes the long-term approach and gets to know the prospect.
- The Order Taker – think retail sales, bank tellers. Gets paid whether or not the customer buys.
Learn about the types of people you are working with and how you can help them be the most successful at closing deals. (via The 4 Types of Sales Professionals, Sales Machine)
2. Ever wonder where exactly to start with your sales plan? These are the 8 steps for you to follow:
- Analyze your territory & business (What is happening in your vertical or market?)
- Learn what makes customers buy
- Conduct a SWOT analysis
- Determine your objectives – specific, measurable sales goals
- Engage the resources you need (What additional training, software or help from co-workers will you need?)
- List your tactics
- Put it into play
(via How to Write a Sales Territory Plan, Selling Power)
3. Remember not to treat inbound leads as guaranteed customers.
Just because someone “contacted” your company first by following you on Twitter or downloading a white paper doesn’t mean that they are ready or right for your product yet. A better approach? Instead of following up directly with your pitch, follow up first by offering even more tips or relevant information, and make sure that marketing has some type of lead-qualifying process in place so that you are only contacted the most appropriate leads.